Rooster hates you, we judge you.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Greatest Holiday Songs of All Time

Well, it's that time of year. So in honor of the season... we present to you the Greatest Holiday Songs of All Time... meticulously compiled during a pointless and boring Admin review session.



This is supposed to be a Top 10 Comparision by each of us... but DJ Vic points out: "I only have 6 because I don't like holiday music very much". SO 10 from Smurftastic (who is inappropriately obsessed with Christmas music), and 6 from DJ Vic. Here goes.



Smurftastic #10:
I'll be Home for Christmas - Kenny Chesney

Reasoning: adds a nice little island beat to an all-over good christmas song

DJ Vic Response - Country and Christmas are always a good mix



Smurftastic #9:

Messiah excerpt/Because it's Christmas - Barry Manilow

Reasoning: Oh yeah, it's a song combo... pretty cheesy, but heartwarming. And who doesn't at least have some familiarity with Handel's Messiah? Plus Manilow's Christmas album is decently great. And Manilow is Jewish. And a gay sex icon. Non discrimination is important this time of year.



Smurftastic #8:

Dick in a Box - Justin Timberlake and Andy Sandberg

Reasoning: supports all holidays. Including the CMAs, which I am a HUGE fan of, obviously

DJ Vic Response - I'd take Justin Timberlak's dick in a box for Christmas any year. Though I doubt my parents....I mean "Santa"....could afford that gift



Smurftastic #7:

O Holy Night - NSYNC

Reasoning: plays to my love of 5 part harmonies, NSYNC, A capella, and this song in general

DJ Vic Response - Wow. O Holy Night is my favorite X-mas song

Distraction discussion about boy bands: Animal could be mistaken for an NSYNC member given certain hat and clothing choices, particularly the pink argyle sweater w/ newsboy cap
but bald boys aren't allowed in boy bands - cause you can't spike/frost the tips of bald




DJVictorious # 6 (FINALLY!)

Merry Christmas Baby - Bruce Springsteen

Reasoning: Rockin' - and shows my new-found Jersey pride - insert fist pump



Smurftastic #6

The Chanukah Song - Adam Sandler

Reasoning: Because racism is bad, and we at somepeopleknit do not support bad things (except bad life choices we really like those because they provide mocking/judging material) - Unfortunately, I don't know many kwanzaa songs... or festivus songs... or other winter holiday related songs. Don't be mad.



DJ Victorious #5:

anything Mannheim Steamroller

Reasoning: They're VERY big in Pittsburgh- No seriously - they make me feel like it's the holidays - I think my brother owns every Mannheim Steamroller album ever recorded - AND he's seem them live

Smurftastic Response: i'm relegating this to the worst, it's like the enya of holiday music



Smurftastic #5:

Baby It's Cold Outside - Leon Redbone/Zooey Deschanel - Elf Soundtrack

Reasoning: Kind of a romantic song which promotes substance abuse. Bring it on. Also am pretty sure this song is about date rape. Oh well.
DJ Victorious response: My grandpa really likes Leon Redbone.



DJ Victorious #4:

Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy - Bing Crosby & David Bowie

Reasoning: Bowie is god

Smurftastic Response: that is a decent version, however, that song and all versions is #2 on my worst xmas songs of all time, but this is actually the only version i can stand because bowie sings OVER the stupid par rum ing



Smurftastic #4:

All I want for Christmas is You - Olivia Olson - Love Actually Soundtrack

Reasoning: Cause Mariah is bat shit CRAZY, but it's a great song

DJ Vic Response: Mimi isn't crazy....she's misguided

Smurftastic rebuttal: Wow. You just called her Mimi. Judging you.

DJVictorious #3:

Twelve Days of Christmas: John Denver & the Muppets

Reasoning: I listen to this album EVERY YEAR, IT'S AMAZING, The best part is when Miss Piggy warbles "5 Goooollldeen Riiiiiinggssss", Fantastic

Smurftastic response: wow BOLD, i've actually never heard that song but i do love john

Smurftastic #3:

Christmas Time is Here - Alvin and the Chipmunks

Reasoning: Because if you don't love this song, you are a terrible person. Plus I sing a great falsetto... also i am probably going to see the new Chipmunks movie - i judge myself, but i can't deny who I am

DJVictorious Response: John (he's the Chipmunk's "dad" right?) is such a pedophile

DJVictorious #2:

All I Want For Christmas is You: Mariah Carey

Reasoning: Might be the best song ever recorded, and the hipster kids LOVE it - and not just ironically

Smurftastic response: See my #4

Smurftastic #2:

Merry Christmas Happy Holidays - NSYNC

Reasoning: OK there are 2 NSYNC songs on here. I admit it. But you know what? Their Christmas album is AWESOME. Just fantastic. I don't even feel bad about my obsession. I have been known to listen to it in July. And nothing brings up a crappy finals mood like this song and its bouncy piano accompaniment

DJVictorious response: 2 NSYNC - quite a move... i'll take your word for it.

DJVictorious #1:

Christmas in Hollis - Run DMC

"You really need to see the video to fully appreciate."

Smurftastic response: Nice. Keep up the ethnic/music genre diversity

Smurftastic #1:

I Wanna Rock You Hard This Christmas - The Dan Band

Reasoning: Difficult to truly explain the awesomeness of this song. You have to hear it for yourself. Here are some selected lines to whet your appetite: "Fill your stocking with my candy cane of joy", "Deck the halls with your Christmas balls"

DJVictorious response: speechless - this is what the holidays are truly about, not this peace on earth bullshit

blnd44illini (3:09:13 PM): oh this song also features the line 'peace on earth'
blnd44illini (3:09:18 PM): but in an inappropriate context
blnd44illini (3:09:23 PM): which is the best time for it
blnd44illini (3:09:32 PM): also - santa hooks up w/ grandma
DJvictoriousT (3:09:51 PM): I bet santa gets alot of tang
DJvictoriousT (3:09:59 PM): he's a pretty powerful guy
blnd44illini (3:10:11 PM): cushion for the pushin?
DJvictoriousT (3:10:19 PM): exactly


Happy Holidays everyone! Get excited for more holiday related countdowns as we get bored during finals weeks.

No comments: