Rooster hates you, we judge you.

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Collaboriffic! Smurftastic’s Top 5 Musical Collaborations of All Time

Let me start this off by saying this list in no way has to do with musical ability or quality of the songs. I like them for pretty random reasons, or just cause the artists are awesome.

Shania Twain and Billy Currington – Party For Two
This song isn’t actually that awesome, but I find it hilarious because it is impossible for me to hear it without thinking that she’s inviting him to a party in her pants. Which is amazing. This music video also introduced me to the hotness that is Billy Currington, who while adorable, dances quite poorly and amusingly. Shania also did a “pop” version with Mark McGrath… but it sucks. Here are some of the lyrics just so you know how hilarious this is:
Aww, all the things I'm gonna do, I'm gonna try something new with you, boy, I'll tell you that it doesn’t matter what you wear, cause it’s only gonna be you and me there.” Buttsex implications indeed.

Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson – The Girl Is Mine
Ended horribly badly as Jackson bought the rights to all the Beatles songs, and now has to sell them off 1 by 1 as he’s going broke. Jackass. But once again, this song is proof that black Michael Jackson is way better than white Michael Jackson. It was a conflict choosing between Say Say Say and this song, but since the Girl Is Mine came out even before Billie Jean and was on the Thriller album, it wins.

Jimmy Buffett and Alan Jackson – 5 O’Clock somewhere
Promoting day drinking? YES and YES. On principle I am not an Alan Jackson fan, but this song is pretty amazing. Buffett has many collabo runner ups, not least of which is the remake of Hank Williams’ “Hey Good Lookin,” which was my ringtone for over a year. I love that song.

Kanye West Featuring John Mayer – Bittersweet
Like both of these artists… but this song mainly makes the cut because of one of the best lines in a rap song I’ve heard in the last 5 years… “I’ll never hit a girl, but I’ll shake the shit out of you.” It ALWAYS makes me smile. This is just kind of a chill song, not too upbeat, but puts a spring in my step when it comes on my Mp3 player.

David Bowie & Queen – Under Pressure
First off, both Bowie and Queen are AWESOME. Next, it was sampled by Vanilla Ice. Enough said.

Criticism and judgment encouraged in the comments!

No comments: